Not Weird, I'm Eccentric - A Jackie Blog

I'm not weird. No, really. I'm just eccentric. All photos on this blog are ©2005 JackieS and are not to be used without permission.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

As Good as it Gets - NJ Side of the MTA Transit Strike

At least New Jersey has the edge in the NYC MTA/TWU ILLEGAL transit strike. That is, as long as we want to get into Manhattan (Midtown or Lower), not one of the other boroughs or Uptown. PATH (NY/NJ Port Authority) trains are running to lower Manhattan; NJ Transit commuter trains are running into and out of Penn Station.

I feel sorry for the transit workers -- Toussaint is leading them to ruin! At this time I feel every fine the state can throw at the union is justifiable. While I tend to sympathize with the plight of any worker, an illegal strike is not the way to go about things. One of the sticking points is the retirement plan for new workers. Hey, wake up! In this day and age, most private companies have no such plan -- it's all 401K, etc. You cannot expect the government employees to have such packages when they don't exist for anyone but them. Sheesh.

I hope the union goes bust, but it's a shame that the workers who have no choice but to abide by the union will be suffering. Get over it, Toussaint... and get the hell out of Dodge.

3 Comments:

  • At December 21, 2005 12:26 AM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Always nice to see someone I agree with. I'm in AFSCME and only because I'm in a closed shop so while I have to pay dues, I might as well be a member. I'm pro labor, but I think strikes are wrong, plain and simple. And this one is illegal, too.

    I paid into my pension for 20 years and it's only a change in the NYS retirement plan that stopped that at 20 years that means I no longer have to pay into it. I have no sympathy for them, only for some of the work rules stuff.

     
  • At December 21, 2005 5:06 PM, Blogger BlogOmar said…

    We disagree, but you and me we still be cool.

     
  • At December 22, 2005 9:45 AM, Blogger TJ said…

    Hi, I am TJ and thought i would come to visit. This transit is like a alien transport to me. I have never seen one. I just can't imagine. I bet you can meet some very interesting people. Is it expensive? Happy Holidays.
    TJ~

     

Post a Comment

<< Home