Not Weird, I'm Eccentric - A Jackie Blog

I'm not weird. No, really. I'm just eccentric. All photos on this blog are ©2005 JackieS and are not to be used without permission.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

GRR to the Aliens Upstairs!

Well, I met the Aliens Upstairs. I also met the Man I Didn't Know Lived Downstairs. Why?Because the ALIENS UPSTAIRS FLOODED MY BATHROOM!

Argh.

I did NOT need the hassle today, a day off from work in which I just had pleasant little plans. Now my bathroom ceiling is in pieces all over the floor and I'm just waiting for things to stop dripping before I have a huge clean-up chore to do.

Here's what happened. I decided to nap a half hour. No sooner did I lay down then I heard an odd dripping. I could hear the shower running upstairs. But the dripping I heard sounded a bit closer... like on the tile ceiling. I looked up. Within less than a minute, my ceiling tiles began leaking right near the frame seams. Okay, I grabbed my bucket to catch the water. In the meantime, all along the seam started streaming water. ACK! I ran to the closet and grabbed my oldest blanket (one I don't mind losing if need be) and tried to catch the water with it... or absorb it... or something. I ran upstairs to tell them to turn off the water.

Okay, the Male Alien finally came to the door with Baby Alien in his arms. I could hear their shower running. I explained the problem and asked him to turn off the water. He didn't seem ruffled at all.

"I'm serious. My bathroom ceiling is going to come down. You really have to turn off that shower."
"Okay, I'll call the super."
"Right now, you have to get that water turned off. My ceiling is going to come down."

He didn't even call out to Wife Alien to turn it off.

I returned to my apartment where water was flowing heavy from the ceiling outdoing my poor blanket and bucket.

Someone knocked on my door.

"I'm your neighbor downstairs. There's water leaking into my bathroom."

I wasn't even sure anyone was living down there after the last tenants moved out. I thought maybe, but he makes no noise. I explained the water was coming from upstairs and I couldn't keep up with it, that I told them and they finally just shut off the shower. We decided we would both call the super in case they didn't.

I no sooner finished with him and returned to the bathroom wondering how I was ever going to get the water sopped up when... the bulging tile let loose with about five gallons of water and crashed to the floor after glancing off my shoulder. I noticed the Aliens From Upstairs leaving in their car.

I called the super AGAIN, then went downstairs to the Neighbor I Didn't Know Existed to let him know there may be a new rush of water, but it should end. He seemed quite nice -- at least it gave me the opportunity to let him know to let me know if my noise ever bothered him. He told me he never hears me. (Aha!)

Finally, the super came and told me he'd be by tomorrow to put up new tiles. I mentioned that new tiles wouldn't stop it from leaking. He said he had stopped by up there, but they weren't home. Fine. Create a catastrophe and don't even wait for the super. I told him it was definitely related to the shower running, not the toilet, sink or bathtub itself. He thinks they may have no shower curtain. I personally doubt that as they certainly have taken showers before without flooding my apartment. I think the caulking may be bad and perhaps she aimed the showerhead more towards the wall or something.But... dang. If someone came knocking on MY door telling me I was flooding their apartment, I'd run to turn the water off. While Male Alien was polite enough, no sense of urgency.

Now I don't like the Aliens Upstairs.

6 Comments:

  • At January 18, 2006 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jackie,
    I stumbled across your blog and decided to read on b/c the part about the falling ceiling tiles caught my attention. I have had similar problems on two occasions. One that dealt with the shower: they replaced the caulking, the tiles and still it leaked: it turns out the problem was deeper than that: the "pan" or "pipe" that held the shower wastewater had busted and needed to be replaced. If the super just re-tiles and re-caulks, you can bet that it will continue to have problems. Not only that, but then there is problem #2 : MOLD! At One time, they just kept cleaning up the mess and fixing the leaking pipe and then painting the ceiling without letting it dry out properly and then KILZING it. Well, the last time it leaked and they did that, about a few months later my sister noticed the wall looked bubbled. She poked at it with the broom and it went right through. Not only that, but she chipped away at it a bit more and a giant mushroom popped out: FUNGUS! So, we had them replace the wall and ceiling and check it out inside the walls to make sure there was no more mold/fungus. Good luck!

     
  • At January 20, 2006 3:30 AM, Blogger daringtowrite said…

    Well, that was some relaxing day off. What a nuisance. Glad you didn't get hurt--or maybe that glancing blow to the shoulder did hurt. I look forward to hearing the next chapter of this story.

     
  • At January 20, 2006 9:02 AM, Blogger Charles said…

    You didn't get hurt or anything did you. I used to enjoy reading about the "Aliens upstairs". They will get there's in the end. Maybe a water leak, or a piano will come crashing down through there ceiling.

     
  • At January 20, 2006 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jackie,

    Thats awful, I wouldn't like the Aliens either. And to think they spawned another one! Yeah, watch out for the mold, it'll make you sick. My car leaked once around the front window. You couldn't see it, but all a sudden the carpet would get gushy. The dealer would dry it out give it back to me. Finally Darrell took it in and said Do Something or take the car back. The "good guy" had been on vacation or something, anyhow he was back and didn't stop until he found the leak. Then replaced the carpeting. Wala..new car again.

    Hope your knees are doing ok!

    Darlene

     
  • At January 20, 2006 8:43 PM, Blogger No said…

    I know how something like that can just SUCK! (There is no better word for it!)....Hope it has been taken care of by now! Take care!

     
  • At January 23, 2006 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    had the same thing happen to me...and the irony was it happened no sooner than i had completely finished cleaning my bathroom...right down to a fresh litter box...can i tell you the scoopable litter turns to mud with enough water?...and there's nothing more disgusting than handling a totally soaked roll of toilet paper (well maybe there is but we won't go into that)
    and as for the "twinkle toes"...our apartments are wall to wall carpeting...and i can still hear every step....i like to play a little game when i hear them move from room to room...i supply the commentary...my over active imagination comes up with some rather amusing stories if i do say so myself!
    good luck with getting everything repaired

     

Post a Comment

<< Home