Not Weird, I'm Eccentric - A Jackie Blog

I'm not weird. No, really. I'm just eccentric. All photos on this blog are ©2005 JackieS and are not to be used without permission.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

I'm Retro-Pop (Culture) and Proud Of It


Yep, I'm retro-pop (culture) and darned proud of it. I've paid my dues, so I can sing the blues. All you hep cats out there just don't know where it's at. I've been there, done that and have the scars and vinyl to prove it. :::grin:::

I hear I'm out of the demographic since I hit the magical mystical 5-0. Not so, not so! While I embrace lots of modern day pop culture, I'm Retro-Pop at heart. And I like that place, so leave me be. Retro-Pop is the bop, trust me. Would I lie to you?

Today I've got on my Rhino Records 4 CD boxed set of 'Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1965-1968.' If you hit that second link, you can get the tracklist for the set and even listen. So, today the Aliens Who Moved in Upstairs were jolted by the Electric Prunes at precisely 11:45 AM ET. Heh. I don't have it playing incredibly loud, no. But there are some tracks I just have to crank. 'Too Much to Dream (Last Night)' was one of them. It also had me dancing around my apartment with my cat, but that may be a tad too much information. Wait until 'Wooly Bully' and 'Louie, Louie' play. Then we're talkin' dancin'! The set has some filler material (in my mind, perhaps), but then it's got:
  • Too Much to Dream - Electric Prunes
  • Dirty Water - Standells
  • Psychotic Reaction - Count Five
  • Farmer John - The Premiers
  • Talk Talk - The Music Machine
  • Incense and Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock
  • Diddy Wah-Diddy - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
  • (We Ain't Got) Nuthin' Yet - The Blues Magoos
  • Let It Out (Let it all Hang Out) - The Hombres
  • Sit Down, I Think I Love You - The Mojo Men
  • Journey to the Center of the Mind - The Amboy Dukes
  • Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs
  • Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen
  • I Want Candy - The Strangeloves
  • Little Bit of Soul - The Music Explosion

There's a bit too much Chocolate Watchband, but the Beau Brummels, the Remains and others make up for it all. I have a lot of the original hits on the original 45s somewhere in a box, but this is much better. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm a hippie now.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home