Not Weird, I'm Eccentric - A Jackie Blog

I'm not weird. No, really. I'm just eccentric. All photos on this blog are ©2005 JackieS and are not to be used without permission.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Remembering Richard Pryor


Last night I heard the rather sad news that Richard Pryor has died. In a way, it's not all that surprising as his health has been bad for so many years. But, I still found the news saddening. I'm part of the generation who boosted Pryor to his well-deserved stardom, then watched as he self-imploded in the 80s falling into the downward spiral of drugs and what they can do to a person. Cocaine in particular, in its various forms, can ruin a life wasting any potential and creating a non-person who just seeks out the next line. I know all about it. It's slow suicide; may as well just put a gun to your head and get it over with quickly. That is, unless you can get by the drug and escape from its grasp. Pryor seemed to do that only to fall ill with MS. Sigh.

It's as hard to believe that Richard Pryor was 65 as it is to know that I hit the half-century mark just a few months ago. Although recent Pryor memories are that of a man whose body is wasted by disease, in my mind he'll be the edgy guy we all tuned into watch on 'SNL' to see if he would get stuff by on the live show. He's the guy who, despite a definite black/white controversial stance in his comedy, brought both the black and white crowds together on his campus and small towns circuit tours before his world of fame really hit.

"We bad, we bad..."

You'll always be so bad that you're good, Mr. Pryor. Rest in peace.

4 Comments:

  • At December 11, 2005 10:48 AM, Blogger Delcano said…

    Thanks so much. I too am saddened by the news of his death. He took risks but burst thru that curtained taboo and tickled our minds. Allowed us to step forward and laugh at our own idiosyncracies.

    Have enjoyed peeping in on you aas well your angst with AOL. Like, damn, Happy Tenth Anniversary to you.
    I write poetry and often am inspired by the mind dancings of other. Count on me to be back.

    Blessings
    Spencer
    http://spencersotherplace.blogspot.com/
    http://journals.aol.com/yeolecontractor/SpencersPlace/

     
  • At December 11, 2005 1:45 PM, Blogger Auntie Lyn said…

    Thanks for that thoughtful post on Richard Pryor. I was saddened last night as I heard the news that he had passed. I pray he is now at peace. My husband and I used to watch anything that had him in it. I only wish I could have caught one of his live performances.
    Blessings,
    Auntie Lyn

     
  • At December 11, 2005 2:20 PM, Blogger BlogOmar said…

    My boss has XM in his car and they were playing a Richard Pryor bit...well at first I thought it was Eddie Murphy. Their cadence was so similar...wow.

     
  • At December 12, 2005 10:55 PM, Blogger BosieLadie said…

    I saw Richard Pryor in Monterey, California, back in 1977 or 1978. My memories of him are from the years before he became so ill. I'm sorry that he has past at such an early age, 65 just isn't that old.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home