Not Weird, I'm Eccentric - A Jackie Blog

I'm not weird. No, really. I'm just eccentric. All photos on this blog are ©2005 JackieS and are not to be used without permission.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Life Goes On -or- Is It All Homemade Bologna?

James Brown and President Ford both gone within a few days, but life goes on. Both men played a bit of a role in my own life, James Brown probably more than Gerald Ford. As a small white girl with red hair, I used to try to mimic James Brown's dance steps (probably cute at the time, but so not as good as he was) and his music was a part of my growing up days. As for Ford, to me he was a welcome respite from Nixon as I was in my huge activist days o' life when he took over the presidency.

But life goes on and, for all I know, it could all be homemade bologna.

The Jesus Ladies in their church hats, woolen coats, support stockings and sensible shoes still arrive each morning at the train station to spread the Word. Yes, you too can be saved, just read the Watchtower.

A street drunk named Willie insisted on reading a passage from the Bible to me. I couldn't help but note that his bookmark was an Union County Jail release stub. Ah, but Willie is basically okay; he's only harmful to himself and alcohol is his demon, not Satan.

New Jersey is the Garden State and, while some areas are really beautiful country, where I live is part of why the state is the most densely populated state in the country. Urban living in the 'burbs, so to speak. Living in a rather rough small city with big city crime woes hasn't been challenging for me. The gangbangers shoot each other up on a nightly basis as of late, but they just nod and say "How ya doin'" or "hola" as I walk by. I don't interest them. I don't look wealthy enough to rob and I'm so out of their element that they don't know what else to do but nod and say hi.

There I was standing awaiting a taxi near the train station one rainy night last week. All of a sudden, men with badges on chains and guns scoot by me from somewhere and arrest the barber from the hair shop next door. Um, okay. I've seen what I thought was him dealing drugs on the corner before but dismissed it as my own imagination as no one would be so foolish to deal on such a well-traveled public street corner. Right? I've even exchanged "how ya doin" with the guy and talked about the weather. We've even shared a cab. He never offered me drugs. I'm not sure if I should be offended at being dismissed or happy. I fear I must be getting old or something. Years back, street dealers offered me drugs. Not that I took them up on their offers, mind you. But, sheesh, at least they asked.

I overheard a New Jersey urban variation on the Verizon "can you hear me now" cell phone bit the other day. A man was yelling into his phone, "Can you hear me?" "Hey, do you hear me?" "Dammit, if you hear me, speak up!" "Well, if you're hearin' me, why the #%$ don't you just say somethin' an' let me know so I don't go on like a ^#$@in idiot!" I guess Verizon wouldn't want to use that in their ad campaign.

The homemade bologna just keeps keepin' on.

My exciting news from a while ago has turned pretty much to dust. I should know after all these years not to count on something before it's a done deal. But I'll keep makin' the bologna and exploring my wasted potential. I'll keep watching both the Jesus Ladies and the gangbangers with a watchful eye from the outside as I look inward.

4 Comments:

  • At December 30, 2006 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i grew up in central jersey...just a bit south of you in somerset county, but i can identify...i try not to think of how much my old neighborhood has changed since i was a kid (not too long ago by your measurements i would guess)...but when i drive thru town and see the new walmart where the factory once stood, well let's just say, it's an eyeopener
    be safe jackie!

     
  • At December 31, 2006 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Jackie...........never have read your personal blog before. You and I seem to have a lot in common. My family is somewhat fractured and I know what you are feeling at this time of year. My Mom died in '71,when I was 23,Dad married a *itch the next year and all semblance of our family evaporated.My brother has lived in NYC for about 30 yrs,he's gay and there's alot of his life I have no clue about. He's now in a stable relationship and seems happy. My sis I have always kept touch with,she's now on her third marriage and not without her own demons. I have a hubby and two boys and regret they never had the extended family and wonderful Christmases that I had growing up.The thing that brought MY family(bor & sis) back together was when I needed and got a liver transplant in '96. Didn't work with my Dad though,and that makes me sad.I wish you peace and joy in the coming year and maybe a connection with your family,if that's what your heart desires.If not,I hope you live a peaceful and fulfilled life. And,as one other said here,be careful out there on the streets!!

     
  • At January 02, 2007 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jackie, sorry that your "exciting news" fell through.

    I keep to myself when I am walking to work or home. We have the worst murder rate in New York state. I don't want to be it's next victim.

    Happy New Year, I hope something great is around the corner for you.

     
  • At March 26, 2007 5:30 PM, Blogger Sydney said…

    Hey Jackie -

    Just stopping by to check in on your LIFE and wanted to say that I hope you're chin is up by the time you get this. What a traumatic bunch of stuff to happen.

    Also, about the news that didn't go through. I am a firm believer of your interest and talent for what you do taking you somewhere... Your blog is already So incredibly successful, that's somthing to be busting with pride and a sense of accomplishment about. But if you desire to take it to the next level, I think you can absolutely. Whatever steps you have to take, there is this proven track record. I know you'll find a way if it's what you really want. All this sounds rather pale on paper but I'm vibing you out with powerfuly good stuff sistah.

    Keep those finely tuned sense of yours looking out for people and opportunities out there and get your stuff in front of anyone who could help. I think the proof is in the pudding and you've got what it takes.
    Am thinking of you!

    Stay Safe!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home